Monday, July 25, 2005

Are Democrats prepared to be more inclusive on the issue of abortion?

It appears as though there is a push to get the DNC to recognize the group Democrats For Life. I myself am Pro-Choice but abortion is just not an issue that gets me all worked up. Perhaps it's the 8 years of Catholic grade school and the 4 years of Jesuit high school but I think our efforts as a Party would be better spent pushing an economic-populist agenda and not being so closely tied to abortion. I have long felt that the Party should be more inclusive of Pro-Life party members, I really don't see any detrimental effect to the Party and I think it would help lure some voters who are fringe-Republican's.

The Hill has the story,
"Senate and House Democrats, with the support of Minority Leaders Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), are pressing party Chairman Howard Dean to establish an official relationship with Democrats for Life, an anti-abortion-rights group that the Democratic National Committee (DNC) has previously shunned...

The efforts to build a relationship seem to be having an impact on Dean. A day after meeting with Democrats for Life, the Associated Press reported, he told a group of college Democrats: 'We do have a big tent. I do think we need to welcome pro-life Democrats into this party...'

People attending the meeting between Dean and Democrats for Life said that he was very receptive and that he would look into building a stronger relationship with the group. "
Once again Howard Dean demonstrates that he is not the far left wingnut that the media, the DLC, and Republican's paint him as. The above quote from Dean demonstrates that he is actually a political moderate with vision and foresight, I have more confidence in his leadership everyday.


4 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger red ranger said...

I would be surprised to see the DNC embrace pro-life Democrats. State and County parties will, but not the National Party

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger YellowDogDem said...

Read the article, Dean is ready to do it. I'd be suprised if it doesn't happen at this point.

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Leo Brown said...

I agree with yellowdogdem. See my post at Western Democrat.

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said...

Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
finding blogs as good as your site.
Jump into my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home